The Scarborough business began with the arrival Ruben Scarborough and his wife landing in Auckland in 1862 from Nottingham where he first started an orchard in East Tamaki. In the early eighties, he shifted to Victoria Avenue, Remuera where he entered the transport business with horse buses running regular services from Victoria Ave to the City.
Later he started a landscape and road building business. His son George took over the family business and continued in the landscape field including the laying of the grass tennis court in the domain in 1919 where the Davis Cup was played between Australasia and the USA. His two sons Alfred and Cecil took over the business during the second world war, and they were to continue until the 1970’s when the directory of the Company changed and a limited Company was formed with Cecil and his two sons Brian and Ross.
The main focus then was stonemasonry , civil works and larger commercial landscape works. Ross subsequently retired and Brian was joined by son Paul and later Garry. Garry then went overseas for several years and upon his return to New Zealand established Scarbro Construction Ltd